Causes of Kidney Stone and How to Prevent it
Kidney stone have become increasingly common and they usually affect people aged 20-50 years of age. It can form in your kidneys when normal substances in your urine become too concentrated. Kidney stones typically form in kidney and leaves the body in the urine stream. A small stone may pass without causing symptoms. If a stone grows to more than 5 millimeter it can cause blockage of the ureter resulting in severe pain in lower back and abdomen.
Reason for kidney stone
- Dehydration can cause kidney stone. If you are eating up in a normal routine and having lesser amount of water, your body can become dehydrated and minerals like calcium stock in kidney which can cause kidney stone. Low fluid intake is a major cause of kidney stone.
Form of kidney stone
Kidney stones are of two forms:
- Calcium oxalate.
- Uric acid.
Excessive intake of purines break down into uric acid, which can form into crystals that deposit into joints and cause pain and inflammation. 15-20% people are keen to have kidney stone due to uric acid.
- If you are facing a problem of uric acid you need to avoid animal meat it can strengthen the amount of purine in your body which can cause kidney stone.
- Vegetables like cabbage, spinach and beans are rich in purine
80% people suffers from kidney stone due to calcium oxalate. When there are high levels of calcium oxalate and too little amount of liquid it can form stone in your kidney.
- Excessive intake of dairy products, sodium and sugar and little water can become a cause of kidney stone.
- Avoid intake of yogurt, milk and peanut theses are calcium (calcium oxalate) rich food.
- Do not surpass more than 1000mg of calcium a day, even keep it less.
- Avoid multi vitamins which has high doses of calcium.
Food to add in diet
- You need to add egg whites, nuts, seeds and fruits in your diet.
- Citrus fruits like, apple cider vinegar, orange and lemon can help in taking the stone out of your body through urine.
- You can take 1-2 servings of lemon water and apple cider vinegar a day.
- Take 0.8g to 1.0g per pound body weight.
- Do not exceed 20-25g protein per meal.
- If you are working out, you can take 1 serving of whey protein only after workout.
Drink 12-16 glasses of water per day.